Christopher Maddox Photography
Slideshow Image 1 Slideshow Image 2 Slideshow Image 3 Slideshow Image 4

Clean. Timeless. Beautiful.

There is a difference in a photographer and someone with a nice camera. There is a difference in a snapshot and a thoughtful image. There is a difference between photographers. We invite you to see that difference with the CMP team!


Twitter Feed

Project 52 + Food (Week 5)

Briana Santiago is an Associate Photographer for Christopher Maddox Photography. Check back weekly to keep up with Briana's weekly 'Project 52' posts



I love food. I am the type of person that loves most foods and I am definitely willing to try anything. Yes, even if it sounds like something we in the US of A would never eat. I will at least try it and make my own decision on whether I like it. I don’t like being told what I like and don’t like. It reminds me of when you were little and your mom would say, “I know you are going to like it”.



But I can’t say that she was entirely on the wrong route either. She knew that if I just gave something a chance, one time, that I might really like it and want more of it. I am sure there were things that she tried once, with no success. Only to try it again a week later, maybe presented a little differently, cooked a little differently or completely unrecognizable because it was mashed up in a stew! 

Speaking of stew... Here is my soup from Paradise Bakery this week. Since its finally starting to hint at fall here in Arizona, I have been craving soups, stews and warm mocha drinks! 





What did mom know that we at 5, 8, 12 years old didn’t? That you acquire the taste for foods, as you get older. You may not always like your broccoli when you were 1 but then when you turned 2 they looked like trees and you thought ‘Hey! Eating mini trees is cool!’ – Definitely didn’t care for my mom’s peanut butter Thai pasta when I was 5, but by the time I turned 8, I thought it was delicious! And Sushi?! Heck no! At 12, the thought of it alone disgusted me! Yet alone the texture once you got it in your mouth! But now, I am a sushi fanatic! Just last night we went to Sushi Brokers, ordered 6 different roles, seaweed salad and calamari. And I could totally go for a whole different 6 roles tonight!


We acquire taste for things and our taste buds mature. Food becomes more of an area of life to discovery rather than just for fuel and energy, which is what its intended for. It’s a source of energy, nutrients, and antioxidants. Which ultimately keep our bodies running properly and extends our life. And sometimes that food takes some ‘acquiring’ time to appreciate and love.


Which got me thinking. How often does this apply to our life habits too? Just as we physically need fuel, we emotionally need fuel too. And lately the fuel I know that I need has taken a little bit of an ‘acquiring’ time frame. Creating a new habit always takes a little bit of persistence and focused dedication before it becomes a ‘habit’. It’s to be expected.


We sometimes require the creation of new habits to stabilize and benefit our emotional wellbeing. At this time in my life, I really want to start getting into The Word on a regular and consistent basis. Its not something I get up and say “Yes! I am going to go read the Bible. I am so excited!” Right now, Im not excited, to be completely honest. Sometimes its bland and monotonous, and I find my mind wandering. Then I have to apply the persistence and focus to keep going through the chapter.


Its kind of like starting a new workout routine, right? You wake up and go ‘No! Number one, I don’t want to get out of this bed. Number two, I don’t want to get out of this bed only to go sweat and physically exhort myself. Number three…’ and you could go on and on and on. But with a little persistence and focused dedication you get out of bed, workout and voila! Somehow you feel better because you did so! You have a sense of accomplishment; you feel great and know you are extending your life because of it! And the next morning, its just that much easier to get up cause you know what’s ahead is good!


I feel the same after I finish my quiet time in the Word. It may start off with me not wanting to do, questioning why I should even bother, and diligently trying to stay focused. But in the end, I am better because of it. A verse stands out that I definitely needed to hear, or a story relates to a friend and now I know how I can help them. My soul feels refreshed and ready to take on the world. In the end, I know I made the right decision and I’m thankful I got up.


It feels really good when something that you used to not have a taste for at all becomes something you out right CRAVE! I know eventually this will become something I crave. It will be food that I need in order to start my day.


Look at what new habits you need to create. And be patient with yourself. Whether its reading, working out, new eating habits or mending a relationship. It takes a certain amount of time to acquire a taste for what you are creating. It doesn’t happen overnight. Acquiring taste could take a week, a month or even a year. It’s a process of letting that new food become fuel for you. Rather than something you just put in your mouth; becoming something you crave rather than despise!


Always,
Briana

0 comments:

Post a Comment